Judge Blaisdell Listens to the Evidence
Midnight Conference With the District Attorney.
Lizzie Borden Taken to the Central Police Station.

The central police station was the center of all interest in the Borden case Monday afternoon and night. Rumors of arrests were thick in the air, and there was a hustling and bustling that indicated that something was going to be done. Officers hurried to and fro with an anxious look on their faces. Every body was on the qui vive, and It was expected that a sensation might occur at any moment, but the moments dragged along into hours and nothing. happened. There was the stage and the stage setting with all of the supporting company, but none of the principal characters arrived on the stage.

 It was known that City Marshal Hilliard and his allies had reached the point where they needed legal advice. and that the marshal had sent for Hosea M. Knowlton, the district attorney. Shortly after 5 o'clock the district attorney came. He held a brief consultation with the marshal, a long talk with Medical Examiner Dolan, and again it looked as if a move was about to be made.

Timothy Sullivan, a conductor for the Globe Street Railway Co., who saw Mr. Borden on the morning of the murder and could fix the time accurately, appeared at the station house; so did Officer Harrington with a book on his arm. It closely resembled the book which druggists use for keeping a record of prescriptions and the names of persons purchasing drugs. Excitement bubbled up and boiled over. Then it died down. little. District Attotney Knowlton went out to the Mellen house to supper. At 8 o'clock Marshal Hilliard and State Officer Seaver left the central station and walked to the hotel. They met the medical examiner, and with the district attorney reviewed the case from beginning to end.

Medical Examiner Dolan went to the Borden house in the afternoon and had the clothing worn by the victims of the murder dug up and spread on the grass for examination. There were certain parts that he wanted for further investigation, and he carried them away with him and had the remnants buried behind the barn.

 Mr. Morse walked down town in the afternoon and paused on his way to and from the post office to converse with friends whom he met. Nobody interfered with him, but Officer Devine never lost sight of him for an Instant. There was nothing going on about the Borden premises to attract attention except the squad of policemen who are still kept on guard about the place.


If It was quiet on Second Street, there was plenty doing at the central station to keep the men interested in the case wide awake. Orders had been issued by Marshal Hilliard that every officer who had had a clue to work out should make a minute report of the same and submit it in writing for further examination by the head of the department and to be laid before the district attorney. After all the special work had been written up, the marshal had a stack of papers a yard high. These he thrust into a big box and waited. He was listening to hear a call from District Attorney Knowlton, whom he bad been awaiting all afternoon.

 About 5:30 o'clock the marshal's private wire let the telephone bell ringing, and a voice announced that the district attorney was at the Mellen house and ready to begin business. Taking the big box under his arm, Marshal Hilliard started out of the office with Detective Seaver close to his heels. They walked rapidly up to the hotel and met the district attorney in parlor on the second floor.

 Here that precious casket, which contained the written results of four days' work by the Fall River police department in their hunt for the key to the most intricate riddle of crime that has ever been perpetrated in this state, was laid open before the district attorney. The most important papers were selected from the bundle, and the three men discussed the case in an in formal way. An hour was finally set at 10 o'clock to meet in the same place to review the entire situation in a systematic way and to determine


At that hour the men got together again, Mayor Coughlin and Medical Examiner Dolan being with them. All hands took off their coats and settled to the task in hand without any preliminary delay. The marshal began at the beginning and continued to the end.

There was a stumbling block which puzzled the district attorney and his assistants. On the day of the murder Miss Lizzie had explained that she went to the loft of the barn for the lead, and an officer who was examining the premises also went to the loft. It was covered with dust and there were no tracks to prove that any person had been there for weeks.  He took particular notice of the fact, and reported back that he had walked about on the dust-covered floor on purpose to discover whether or not his own feet left any tracks. He said that they did and thought it singular that anybody could have visited the floor a short time before him and make no impressions on the dust. The lower floor of the stable told no such tale, as it was evident that it had been used more frequently and the dust had not accumulated there. The conclusion reached was that in the excitement incident to the awful discovery, Miss Borden had forgotten just where she went for the lead. When she found her father lying on the lounge, she ran to the stairs and ascended three or four steps to call Maggie. Maggie is the name by which Bridget Sullivan was called by members of the family. She did not call for her stepmother, because, as she stated afterward, she did not think she was in.


Then came the history of the mysterious letter. Miss Lizzie had said that on the morning of the tragedy her step-mother received a letter asking her to visit a sick friend. She knew that at about 9 o'clock the step-mother went up stairs to put shams on the pillows, and she did not see her again. It was that letter that led her to believe that her stepmother had gone out. Here was stumbling block number two. The officers had searched all over the house for that letter, the marshal said but had failed to find any trace of it. Miss Lizzie had feared that it had been burned in the kitchen stove.

 The marshal, medical examiner and the mayor carefully rehearsed, step by step, the summoning of Dr. Bowen, who was not at home when the murder was committed, and his ghastly discovery on the second floor. No theory other than that Mrs. Borden was murdered first was entertained, and. Mayor Coughlin was positive that the murderer had closed the door after the deed had been accomplished. Lizzie Borden's demeanor during the many interviews which the police have had with her was described at length, and the story of John W. Morse's whereabouts was retold.

As the night wore on it began to grow very certain that nothing would be done. There was no excuse for doing it at that hour. The persons to whom the only suspicions of any account were pointed were already under arrest for all intents and purposes. If there had been no reason why they should have been arrested in the day time it was certain that no new discoveries had been made that would compel the police to act before daylight came around again, and the wiser night-hawks on the lookout for news flew home to bed.

 When the marshal and others left the district attorney they went to the central station. On their return they had another bundle of papers, said to have been warrants, but on that point nobody was positive, as the authorities refused to state what their errand had been. Each of the men referred enquirers to Mr. Knowlton, tho said that he was not ready to make any statement at that time. At 1 o'clock the marshal and the mayor were in the central station discussing the situation. It was evident that no arrests were to be made after all.

 It was reported that everything was ready to make an arrest. The warrants had been written out in all the details, and all that was wanting were the final signatures to make them valid. This statement has been positively denied and the nearest anybody came to being put into jail was that a couple of blank forms were enclosed in Marshal Hilliard's bundle just to be there if they were needed.


 It is certain that public opinion is wavering in the conclusion it so firmly hugged to itself since Thursday night, and when a man is asked today for a theory, he is ready to admit that he has none.  The friends of Lizzie Borden rallied so promptly to her support, and so general has been the testimony to her womanly characteristics that people who were led to conclude from printed statements of her coldness and lack of emotion, a nature quite devoid of feeling which could have slaughtered right and left without a fluttering of conscience, have had their theories severely shaken.

It is understood that members of the other Borden families distantly related to that of Andrew J. Borden have prepared themselves for united action in whatever direction may seem necessary. Nothing of the nature of a compact has been made, but the matter has been talked over from a family standpoint, and its wealthy members have volunteered to do what they believe to be necessary in the interests of justice. Detective Hanscom's services were secured at their suggestion, and while his work is independent of the local police it is directed to the same end—to discover the missing murderer.

So general became the popular demand for an arrest and so unanimously did public sentiment point to one person as the perpetrator of the double murder that the family became alarmed and lost no time in exerting itself to such measures as would secure at least a stay in the proceedings until there was no reasonable doubt as to the guilt of the person suspected. It was for this purpose that Lawyer Jennings has been so active in the case, and with what success is clearly evident to everybody.


About 5 o'clock Mr. Morse came down to a drug store to make a purchase, greeted the mayor and said Miss Lizzie Borden is much better today than she has been, and, under the circumstances, is as well as could be expected. We are all hopeful that the murderer will be discovered, and are anxious to assist in the work. All of us at the house are at a disadvantage, however as we cannot offer any knowledge to guide the detectives or even surmise.

 "I see that there has been some insinuation aspersions on the family for employing Mr. Hanscom, and insincere motives are ascribed to us. As to that no one in the town is more deeply concerned in the case than the daughters, and they offered the $5OOO reward in the hope it might be productive of results. With only the desire to apprehend the murderer governing their actions, by advice of counsel, the daughters took a proper and consistent course in employing a competent detective to prosecute the investigation. We determined to employ the best talent and were advIsed to engage the Pinkertons, a most reputable firm, and they are at work to apprehend the murderer and for no other purpose."


Immediately on the adjournment of the district court this morning the judge retired to his office on Bedford street, only to return in a few minutes to the court building. Previous to this District Attorney Knowlton, Medical Examiner Dolan and Detective Seaver had arrived and were in earnest consultation with the city marshal. Officers started from the station in all directions, and it was soon apparent that something of importance was about to take place. The members of the party who had been in consultation in the marshal's office proceeded upstairs and the first legal proceedings in the case commenced. Miss White the stenographer, took notes for Mr. Knowlton. Nobody outside of the officials was allowed in the room, and it was impossible to obtain any information to what took place.

 Bridget Sullivan, the domestic, was the first to arrive at the station. She was escorted from the house by Officer Doherty. Miss Sullivan was dressed in black, and her countenance indicated that she thoroughly realizes the position in which she is placed. If an honest appearing face was to acquit a person of a crime Miss Sullivan has that face.

 From the time Miss Sullivan went up stairs, 9:45 o'clock, until 11:20 nothing indicated that an inquest was being held.  An officer was placed at the head of the stairs and no one was allowed to approach within hearing distance of the room. At the time mentioned Judge Blaisdell came from the court and hurried toward his law office. A HERALD reporter started in pursuit and met his honor as he was returning from the office. In answer to a question as to whether an Inquest or examination was going on he replied that he could answer that it was the former. On again being asked as to whether the warrants would be issued for the arrest of any of the suspected parties at the close of the inquest he refused to be quoted, stating that as soon as the matter was over he would be only too glad to Converse.

At 12 :15 a recess was taken until 2 o'clock, the witness being placed in charge of Matron Russell.

District Attorney Knowlton would not say a word.

Sheriff Kirby of Westport was interviewed Monday n regard to the Investigations being made in his town, with a view of connecting some well-known shady characters of the place with the crime. He said: "I know that the officers have been working here, but, so far as I know, have not been made any progress towards a solution of the mystery.

They first started to follow up Lincoln and Cooper, the two western dealers who are here at present, but they soon gave up that scent. I can say this much, that not the slightest suspicion attaches to any member of the Borden family so far as any dealings in Westport may be concerned." Throughout New Bedford there is a strong feeling that either the guilty party or parties or someone with a guilty knowledge are located in this section, and increased efforts will be made in this direction.


A remark that is going the rounds is that if the parties at present suspected were poor people they would have been locked up long before now. This the police deny in the strongest language. As soon as a piece of evidence that is strong enough to warrant the arrest of any person is found, that party no matter who it may be will be placed under arrest. Marshal Hilliard has been sifting the evidence in cool and careful manner, examining every possible theory and clue that would lead to a solution of the mystery. In the work he has acted impartially, and from the first determined to show partiality to none.


 At 1:45 o'clock Marshal Hilliard and Officer Harrington left the central station in one of Stone's hacks. The uniform of the marshal as he drove up Second street attracted the attention of pedestrians, and in less time than it takes to write fully 500 people had assembled on the opposite side of the street facing the Borden mansion. Mrs. George Brigham. left: the house and was seen to enter Dr. Bowen's office. The supposition immediately became general that Lizzie, whom the officers wished to convey as a witness in the inquest, had broken down under the strain. Such was not the case however, as w hen she came to take her place in the carriage her step was light and, other than a care-worn expression, nothing indicated the terrible mental strain that she was undergoing.:

In the past few days Lizzie has terribly aged. The full round cheeks that friends of her former days remember have entirely disappeared, although the bright eyes and haughty expression are still retained. There was not a falter in the step as she came down the stairs, and from her every movement the woman would be the last person to suspect of the crime. In fact, her step was such as would indicate that she was going to a picnic instead of attending an inquest.

All along the road crowds of people had gathered, and when the hack turned back toward the station there was a mad rush for the alley. The four passengers slighted from the hack and passed into the station, going at once to the court room above.

 After they had passed up the stairs, Officer Barker took his place on the landing and forbade anybody passing the staircase beyond the clerk's office. In the court room were Judge Blaisdell, Marshal Hilliard Dr. Dolan, Detective Seaver and the district attorney. Andrew Jennings went into the marshal's office, but was not present at the inquest. Miss Borden was questioned closely as to her doings and those of the rest of the family. At the time of going to press the examination was still progressing.


Detective Richards of Newport was in town today, but said it was on other business than the Borden affair. In speaking of the tragedy he said it was very mysterious, but he thought it would not be long before the officers here had sifted the matter.

 Photographer Walsh took an inside view of the cell room this morning.
In speaking of the handling of the case District Attorney Knowlton stated that it more than pleases him. As everyone under suspicion was under close police surveillance it was better to examine everything before precipitating matters.

Ald. Beattie Gives His View. on the Murder Mystery.

 "I understand," said a reporter to Ald. John Beattie, that you have a theory regarding this mystery which gives some promise of its solution."

 He was at the police headquarters today, the apparent object being to impress upon the powers that be that his theory—it is his only-might have been very useful to the police at an earlier stage of the game.

"Well," he said, as he answered somewhat shyly to the line thrown out, "my theory—and it is mine alone-is one formed from the circumstances of the case. The brain which devised this crime was cunning enough to devise beforehand the means to escape detection. Supposing it was a woman, she was cunning enough to wear a loose wrapper which would have covered her clothes and gloves which would have protected her hands from the stains of blood. If so, there was time to burn both wrapper and glove in the hot ironing fire which is known to have been burning in the kitchen on the day of the tragedy. The ashes would have shown whether or not such material was consumed in the kitchen stove.

"Again, it is hard to believe that the murderer, if there was one, escaped by the side door. He might have gone out the cellar door, as a matter of fact, and escaped by scaling the fence in the rear of the yard. On the day they buried the blood-stained clothes, I noticed that they were about to bury a piece of the skull which had been cut away from the head of one of the victims by the axe of the murderer. I told Officer Chace to preserve it. He wrapped it up in a piece of paper and is carrying it around with him. The appearance of that portion of its surface which was cleanly cut by the axe might give some clue as to the exact nature of the weapon in regard to the smoothness of its blade or the cleanness of the blade.

"The police sealed up nothing on the day of the murder. Had they sealed up the cellar door, placed two officers in the house with instructions to examine everything and note what went on there, told the inmates to keep quiet and allowed absolutely no one to enter the house for the time being some definite action might have been taken before this—an arrest made possibly."


Much has been heard about a mysterious robbery which took place at the Borden house about a year ago. Detectives were put on the search, but they could never find any trace of the missing articles. This case is recalled at present as indicating that somebody had before visited the house very mysteriously, perpetrated a crime and departed.

 The robbery was done June 24 of last year. How the entrance was effected is not known. The only article in the house that was disturbed was a small desk belonging to Andrew J. Borden. This was rummaged through and through. A lady's gold watch with a chain and locket, a bunch of horse car tickets and a small sum of money were stolen.

Mr. Borden was in Swansey at the time, but when he learned about the break he hastened to inform the local police. Capt. Desmond, then inspector of the department, was detailed to look after the stolen articles. He made long search, but could find no trace of the missing valuables.
Trial of Lizzie Borden Homepage