Testimony of Sam Streppone

February 6th, 1935
SAM STREPPONE, sworn as a witness in behalf of the defendant:

Direct Examination by Mr. Reilly:

 Q. Streppone, where do you live?
 A. 376 East 167th, the Bronx, New York.
 Q. What is your business?
 A. Radio repairer.
 Q. I show you Defendant's Exhibit 39 and ask if you recognize that man?
 A. I do. Isidor Fisch.
 Q. In connection with your business, did Isidor Fisch come to your radio store?
 A. On May the 10th, 1933 he come in with a radio. He told me to test the radio because it didn't light.
 Q. Did you make a record of it?
 A. Yes, sir. (Handed the paper to Mr. Reilly.)
 Q. Is this a record that you keep in the ordinary course of your business as a record of each and every repair?
 A. Yes, sir.

 Mr. Reilly: I offer it in evidence.
Mr. Wilentz: I don't think it is competent, if your Honor please, nor do I think it is material. However, I am not going to object to it.

  Mr. Reilly: With the Court's permission, I will read it to the jury:
Isidor Fisch, May 10, 1933, Wednesday, 10 p.m. Live in furnished room, address refused. Repairs done to R.C.A. model 33 D.C. show box serial 20872, last number scratched off. I-71 tube 50 cents one 12 A tube 75 cents; one 2500 ohms resistor 50 cents; labor $1.25, total $3.00.

 Q. How many days was this machine in your shop being repaired?
 A. Five days.
 Q. Did he come into your shop the following Sunday?
 A. Yes sir, at 2:00 pm, May 14th.
 Q. Did he have anything with him?
 A. A package.
 Q. He left it there for six hours and then came back and took it away?
 A. Yes, sir.
 Q. Was it a large of small package?
 A. About that big (indicating), about the size of a shoe box.
 Q. About twelve by five or six inches high.
 A. All right.
 Mr. Reilly: That is all.

Cross-Examination by Mr. Wilentz:

 Q. You were adjudged insane some years ago, were you not?
 A. In 1928, discharged with no psychosis.

 Mr. Wilentz: That is all.

Re-Direct Examination by Mr. Reilly:

 Q. How long were you there?
 A. Three months.
 Q. Where?
 A. Central Islip.
 Q. And discharged as cured?
 A. No psychosis.

 Mr. Reilly: That is all.

Re-Cross Examination by Mr. Wilentz:

 Q. How many times were you in an institution for mental disorders, how many times?
 A. A few times.
 Q. Eight times, six times, seven times?
 A. I will make it about five times.
 Q. It might have been eight, though, I suppose?
 A. Well, if you want to call about a psychopathic ward, that's what I call about five times.
 Q. Was one of the times due to the fact that you threatened bodily harm to one of the women of the charity organization?
 A. Yes, sir.
 Q. One of the times for writing filthy letters to her?
 A. Abusive language, yes, sir.
 Q. And every time you were in an institution it was because of some mental disorder?
 A. Depressed, yes, sir.
 Q. You know the terms, do you not, manic-depressive psychosis?
 A. That's what the doctors called it, depressed, diagnosed it.

 Mr. Wilentz: I think, sir, that is all.

Re-Direct Examination by Mr. Reilly:

 Q. Irrespective of these visits to the psychopathic ward, you are now doing business in New York?
 A. Yes, sir.
 Q. And how long have you been doing business?
 A. Since August 6, 1934.
 Q. Are you married?
 A. Yes, sir, living with [my] family.
 Q. And you are under no restraint now?
 A. No, sir.

 Mr. Reilly: That is all.

Hauptmann Trial Page